How Can You Have ETERNAL LIFE?
God tells us in His Word that we can know, beyond a doubt, that we are going to Heaven when we die. First John 5:13---"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."
In order for you to have this wonderful assurance and peace of mind, there are some things you must know...
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner. You cannot be saved until you realize that you are lost. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good and sinneth not" (Ecclesiastes 7:20). Because you and I are sinners, there is nothing we can do on our own to save ourselves. Salvation is a free gift, given to us by the Grace of a loving God (Romans 5:15; Ephesians 2:8, 9).
2. Understand that Jesus Christ died on the Cross as your substitute. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (2 Corinthians 5:21). "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:" (Galatians 3:13). "Who his own self bare our sins in his body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed" (1 Peter 2:24).
3. Repent Toward God, with genuine sorrow for the fact that you are a sinner. "Repent ye:...But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance" (Matthew 3:2,7,8). "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3,5). "For Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death" (2 Corinthians 7:10).
4. Ask God to save you, forgive your sin for Jesus' sake, and trust (believe) wholeheartedly that He will. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31). "The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation...For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans 10:8-10,13).
5. When should you be saved? "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2).
6. What causes one to be lost? "He believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18). "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him"(John 3:36).